A TĀTOU KAUPAPA - Our PRojects
Kaituna River Access Project
This project contributes to our goal of connecting communities and visitors to our river and to our projects by improving physical access to the Kaituna River.
Our emphasis will be on progressive enhancement of river access in priority areas where it is most appropriate for activities such as swimming and food gathering. This includes enhanced access in the Waitangi area for swimming and waka launching.
The Western Bay of Plenty District Council will lead this project. It aligns with the planned review of the Te Puke and Maketu Reserve Management Plans administered by Western Bay of Plenty District Council. Te Maru o Kaituna partners, tangata whenua, recreational and commercial river users, and local communities will also be involved.
Planned deliverables include:
• Mapping of current and historical river access and community aspirations for river access completed by 30 June 2022.
• Completion of a feasibility study for waka launching site by 30 June 2022.
• Taunga waka in place and at least three river access areas enhanced by 30 June 2025.
• At least five river access areas enhanced by 30 June 2028.
• Western Bay of Plenty District Council Reserve Management Plans